In addition to the method of humidifying the air, important criteria are the area of the room for which the device is designed, the volume of the tank and the flow rate of water (for example, 350 ml per hour). From the last two depends on the time without adding water. It is good if the humidifier can work for at least 10-12 hours: you can get enough sleep on the day off and have time to go to work and return from it on weekdays. As a rule, a water tank with a volume of 6-7 liters is enough for a day, 3.5-4 liters for 12 hours.
Useful functions – regardless of the type of humidifier
- Indicator light for adding water. It is much easier to notice such a signal than to determine the water level by eye, especially since not all devices have transparent containers.
- Protection against work without water and auto shutdown when capsizing. You can forget to pour water, the device can be accidentally touched and knocked over by a child or pet – all this should be safe for home, child, cat or dog.
- Indicator of the need to clean the device. Capacity, nozzles, filters – all this needs periodic cleaning.
- Not a function, but important: the design should be easy to carry. It is inconvenient to walk “on the water” with a tank in an embrace, there should be a handle.
- If the humidifier can rotate around its axis and distribute steam in different directions, this is convenient.
- The presence of night mode. It is especially important for devices with natural moisture in which the fan is noisy, and for devices with bright light indicators and displays that do not light in night mode.
- Locking with a loose cover, improper assembly, etc.
Pleasant but optional features
Air purification . If filters are installed in the ultrasonic humidifier, then the manufacturer usually declares this function, if the filters are antibacterial, it declares loudly. But still, a humidifier is not an air purifier; its effect on air purification can only be auxiliary. In case of serious health problems – allergies, asthma – it is recommended that an air purifier is recommended – possibly with a humidification function. Filters must be changed – an additional expense item. All this does not apply to devices with the traditional method of humidification – there filters are an obligatory part of the design, and if they are antibacterial – all the better.
Aromatization of air . Usually, it is recommended that the flavor be poured into a special capsule through which air is taken. You should not use fragrances (as a rule, they have an oil base) in devices without such a thing, pouring them simply into water – ruin the device.
Ionization . It is believed that the enrichment of air with negatively charged particles – ions, which have the property of attracting and retaining moisture, contributes to better air humidification. Optimally, if ionization is turned off.
Water backlight . In this case, the humidifier can also work with a night lamp. It is important that the backlight is turned off if necessary.
Types of Humidifiers
This is perhaps the most common type of moisturizer now. The principle of their operation is as follows: the emitter (piezoceramic membrane) vibrates with the frequency of ultrasound when exposed to alternating current. Water poured into a container, under the influence of ultrasonic vibrations on the surface, is broken into tiny particles that the fan pushes out. The steam generated by the ultrasonic humidifier is cold, sometimes called water fog. Some models have a “warm steam” function. Ultrasonic humidifiers can be very simple and inexpensive, which does not prevent them from effectively humidifying the air, but can have all kinds of functions: for example, a steam separator (sometimes called in the English manner: splitter) – a nozzle that divides the steam stream into two parts and directs them in different directions; the ability to choose the level of moisture; steam sterilization function. The built-in hygrometer is almost the norm, when a certain level of humidity is reached in the room, the humidifier goes into sleep mode, and turns on again when it is necessary to “give the park.” Expensive models are equipped with electronic displays on which all operating parameters are displayed. Note that it is better to additionally have a regular separate hygrometer – the built-in ones are not always accurate enough.
An interesting and sometimes necessary thing is a portable ultrasonic humidifier, in which there is no water tank, but there is a “connector” with a thread where an ordinary plastic water bottle is screwed. You can use even a small one, only 0.5 liters. Such a device can be taken with you to work and humidify the air nearby at the workplace, you can use it on a trip, take it to the cottage, etc.
Pluses of an ultrasonic humidifier: